Already registered? Sign In New here? Sign Up

Legal Education in Hong Kong

A person wishing to qualify as a solicitor in Hong Kong must first successfully complete the Bachelor of Laws either from the University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong or the Chinese University of Hong Kong or another institution that operates under a common law jurisdiction. A non-law graduate can also pass the Common Professional Examination of England and Wales.

Students are then required to study the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws from one of the three recognised institutions in Hong Kong. After successfully completing the PCLL, you must then complete a two year training contract in order to be qualified for admission to practice in Hong Kong.

Please note that from September 2008, new entry requirements were implemented for students seeking admission to study the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws. Students who hold a Bachelor of Laws degree from a university other than one of the three universities offering such degrees in Hong Kong, or other recognized law qualification, acceptable to the PCLL providers must demonstrate competence in eleven core subjects and three top-up subjects in Hong Kong Law.